Work-Related Clothing, Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Expenses

Posted On August 6, 2018

Work-related clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses

You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying and cleaning:

Occupation-specific clothing, protective clothing and unique, distinctive uniforms.

  • You can claim a deduction for occupation-specific clothing. This means it is specific to your occupation, is not everyday in nature and allows the public to easily recognise your occupation.An example is the checked pants a chef wears.

  • You can claim a deduction for protective clothing and footwear you wear to protect yourself from the risk of illness or injury posed by the activities you undertake to earn your income. The clothing must provide a sufficient degree of protection against that risk.

Examples include:

  • fire-resistant and sun-protection clothing
  • hi-vis safety vests
  • non-slip nurse’s shoes
  • steel-capped boots
  • overalls, smocks and aprons you wear to protect your ordinary clothes from soiling or damage.
  • You can claim a deduction for a compulsory or non‑compulsory uniform that is unique and distinctive to the organisation you work for.

Clothing is:

  • unique if it has been designed and made only for the employer
  • distinctive if it has the employer’s logo permanently attached and the clothing is not available to the public
  • You can’t claim a deduction for the cost of purchasing or cleaning clothes you bought to wear for work that are not specific to your occupation, such as black trousers and a white shirt, or a suit, even if your employer says this is compulsory.These items are conventional, not usually a specific type and not sufficiently distinctive or unique to your employer.
  • You can’t claim a deduction for ordinary clothes (such as jeans, drill shirts, shorts, trousers, socks or closed shoes) as they lack protective qualities designed for the risks of your work. A compulsory work uniform is a set of clothing that identifies you as an employee of an organisation with a strictly enforced policy that makes it compulsory for you to wear the uniform while you’re at work.
  • You can claim a deduction for shoes, socks and stockings where they are an essential part of a distinctive, compulsory uniform, and where their characteristics (colour, style and type) are specified in your employer’s uniform policy.
  • You can claim a deduction for a single item of distinctive clothing, such as a jumper, if it’s compulsory for you to wear it at work. A non-compulsory uniform is a set of clothing and accessory items (not protective or occupation-specific) that:
  • distinctly identifies a particular employer, product or service
  • is not compulsory for employees to wear to work.
  • You can only claim expenses incurred for a non‑compulsory work uniform if your employer has registered the design with AusIndustry.
  • Shoes, socks and stockings can never form part of a non‑compulsory work uniform.
  • You can’t claim a deduction for a single item of non‑compulsory uniform, such as a jumper

Records keeping

You must have written evidence, such as diary entries (to be kept for a representative period of at least one month) and receipts, for your laundry expenses if both of the following apply:

  • The amount of your claim is greater than $150.
  • Your total claim for work-related expenses exceeds $300.

If you don’t need to provide written evidence for your laundry expenses, you may use a reasonable basis to work out your claim. If you wash, dry and iron your clothes yourself, we consider that a reasonable basis for working out your laundry (washing, drying and ironing) claim is:

  • $1 per load if the load is made up only of work-related clothing
  • 50 cents per load if you include other laundry items in the load.

Written by ozLedger

recent post

Tips For Keeping Good Records

Tips For Keeping Good Records

After submitting your tax return, you may wonder what to do with all the documents required to file your tax return. You realize that you have to keep some paperwork on hand for a while.

read more
Spouse Tax Offset

Spouse Tax Offset

If you contribute to the super fund of your eligible spouse, you may be entitled to tax compensation. This tax compensation applies to contributions you make on behalf of your non-working or low-income.

read more


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *